In all my years (60 to this point), I have always prayed “in the name of the God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Ghost). To my shame, I must admit that I have never truly grasped who the Holy Spirit is, and what His mission amongst us is.
The Holy Spirit is, to me, the mystery of the Holy Trinity. We know that God the Father is the creator of all that is, seen and unseen. He created our world, our galaxy and our universe. He also gave us his son to die for us and atone for our sins. We know that God the Son, Jesus Christ, is our Saviour, Teacher, Counselor and Friend. He came down to earth, to be born as a human, to teach us, to suffer for us, and ultimately to die for us. The single most unselfish act ever offered/performed for us. Without that one single act of grace and mercy, we would all most certainly be condemned to hell.
As for the Holy Spirit, we know that He is a person, He is co-equal with the Father and the Son, and the three are The One True God. As the Nicene Creed says, “I believe in the Holy Ghost, the Lord, the Giver of Life; who proceeds from the Father and the Son; who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified; who spoke by the prophets.”
Also, to add to the mystery, we have this from the Athanasian Creed which says:
- For the Father is one person, the Son is another, and the Spirit is still another.
- But the deity of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is one, equal in glory, co-eternal in majesty.
- What the Father is, the Son is, and so is the Holy Spirit.
- Uncreated is the Father; uncreated is the Son; uncreated is the Spirit.
- The Father is infinite; the Son is infinite; the Holy Spirit is infinite.
- Eternal is the Father; eternal is the Son; eternal is the Spirit: And yet there are not three eternal beings, but one who is eternal; as there are not three uncreated and unlimited beings, but one who is uncreated and unlimited.
- Almighty is the Father; almighty is the Son; almighty is the Spirit: And yet there are not three almighty beings, but one who is almighty.
- Thus the Father is God; the Son is God; the Holy Spirit is God: And yet there are not three gods, but one God.
- Thus the Father is Lord; the Son is Lord; the Holy Spirit is Lord: And yet there are not three lords, but one Lord.
As you can see, without a doubt, the Holy Spirit is God, He is the Giver of Life, he is our conscience and he is our guide. He is a full partner in the Trinity, and as such, He is a part of the Great Mystery. We take Him at face value because of our faith, and we pray to Him for guidance in our daily lives. To know the answer to the Great Mystery, all you have to do is believe, and when we meet again in heaven, the Mystery will be revealed.
Guide me Holy Spirit.